Bowl of Sunshine
by CHEF DAVE WELLS
For more recipes please check out my books on kindle.
Ginger, Butternut, Orange Soup
High in powerful antioxidants: Vitamins A (beta carotene), C. Low calorie source of fiber. Great source of potassium. Excellent for improving circulation, and relieving nausea and indigestion. Bright visual color is appealing and stimulating.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- 1/4 cup ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2-4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup rice vinegar or sake
- 1 large butternut squash peeled seeded and cut rough
- 3 quarts water, vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 3 Tablespoons orange zest (orange part of skin only)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 bunch scallions thinly sliced on bias (angle)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat soup pot on medium heat w/olive oil until smoking.
- Sauté onions, garlic, and ginger for 2 to 3 minutes until translucent.
- Add rice wine and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add butternut squash and 2 quarts of water.
- Simmer slowly for 2 hours.
- Ladle contents into a blender and puree. CAUTION: Always be very careful, pureeing hot food in as contents may erupt. You may want to remove the top and cover with a plate. Always leave some space for heat to escape.
- If needed, you can adjust consistency w/ remaining quart of water.
- Return pureed mixture to rinsed pot, heat and simmer.
- Add cilantro, orange zest, and scallions.
- Season w/salt and pepper and serve.